Return to Health Matters
Top tips for staying cool as the temperature rises!
- If you’re planning to spend time in the sun this summer, it is important to drink at least 6-8 glasses of natural mineral water/filtered water a day to prevent over-heating.
- Replenish electrolytes lost through perspiration by adding a sachet of a hydrating electrolyte powder to a glass of water once a day, especially if you are physically active. When enjoying activities such as tennis, swimming and cycling, it can be easy to forget to drink enough fluids.
- Pack a bottle of filtered or natural mineral water with ice in a cool bag to quench your thirst, keep you cool and maintain good hydration without adding sugar or calories.
- Add refreshing lemon, lime or other fruits to flavour your water.
- If you are flying to your holiday destination, especially on a long haul flight, ensure that you drink enough water before, during and after the flight, as plane air conditioning systems dehumidify the air, leaving you feeling drained of moisture which may lead to nausea, fatigue and headaches.
- Try to avoid or drink as little alcohol as possible on the flight, but if you do have an alcoholic drink, follow it with a glass of water.
And don’t forget that the easiest way to determine if you are drinking enough is to check the colour of your urine. It should be pale straw coloured. If it is darker than this, you need more fluid.