Return to Health Matters
Recipe for avocado, squash, watercress, beetroot and feta salad
Butternut squash is an excellent source of carotenoids including beta-carotene and lutein, whilst avocados provide a wonderful creamy texture and plenty of healthy monounsaturated fats. Walnut oil boosts omega 3 content and adds a delicious nutty twist.
- 500 g of butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 bunch raw beetroot (around 400g) peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme – leaves only finely chopped
- 2 bags (around 180g) of watercress or rocket
- 120 g of feta cheese
- 2 medium avocados
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (optional)
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce (or soya sauce if you are not gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of walnut oil
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 200 C (180 fan, gas mark 6)
In a bowl toss the butternut squash and beetroot pieces with the olive oil, paprika, thyme leaves and salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for around 40 minutes or until it’s nice and soft. Leave to one side and allow to cool.
Place all the dressing ingredients in a bottle or bowl and shake or whisk to blend.
Divide the watercress or rocket between four plates, then top with the roasted butternut squash and beetroot.
Peel and cut the avocados into bite size pieces and add to the salad.
Divide the feta into four and then crumble on top, before drizzling on the dressing and sprinkling on pumpkin seeds if using.
- Calories - 435.1kcal
- Protein - 12.6g
- Carbohydrate - 17.9g
- Sugars - 15.5g
- Total fat - 32.8g
- Saturated fat - 9.2g
- Fibre - 5.3g