Return to Health Matters
Butternut squash, poppy seed and lemon loaf recipe
Coconut Oil is rich in medium chain triglycerides, an excellent source of energy. It is a great non-dairy alternative to butter or margarine. It is perfect for baking biscuits, cakes, muffins, pastry or in pancake batter, so why not try this recipe for butternut squash, poppy seed and lemon loaf.
- 225g peeled and deseeded butternut squash, cubed
- 4 tbsp of milk of choice
- 1 large egg
- 175g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g ZyloSweet
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 50g Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Grated zest of 1 small lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line with baking paper or greaseproof paper, then grease once more.
- Cook the butternut squash in boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes, until tender. Drain well and blend to a smooth purée.
- Scoop the purée into a mixing bowl and stir in 3 tablespoons of milk and the egg.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ZyloSweet, mixed spice and seasoning in another bowl. Add the coconut oil and blend until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix the purée into this mixture. Add a little extra milk if the mixture seems dry.
- Stir in the poppy seeds and grated lemon zest. Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Remove the cake from the tin and cool on a wire rack.